Let Us Work For You


10 Ridgedale Avenue
Cedar Knolls, NJ 07927
(973) 538-8822

Our History

1955

In 1955, a feasibility study was undertaken by the Community Chest of Morris County to determine the need for establishing a sheltered workshop in Morris County. 

1957

Following the 1955 feasibility study, the Sheltered Training Center of Morris County was founded with 8 "trainees".

1958

On April 12, 1958, the Sheltered Training Center of Morris County opened its doors on Speedwell Avenue.

1961

In 1961, the Sheltered Training Center had grown and needed a new location. It was moved to Lackawanna Place in Morristown, to a 8,500 sq. ft. 2 story wooden building. It now served 25-30 clients.













1963

In November of 1963, the name was changed to Occupational Training Center for the Handicapped. 

1971

In November of 1971, the organization purchased the Lackawanna Place building for $75k. This gave the Occupational Training Center for the Handicapped (OTCH) permanence and a new goal to serve 120 people. 

Celebrate New Center Opening (Daily Record 2.18.72)

1975

In July of 1975, the location at 10 Ridgedale Ave, Cedar Knolls was purchased. At this time, the OTCH was serving 90-100 clients. The original building was 10,500 sq. ft.

1976

In 1976, the OTCH moved in to the Ridgedale Ave location. 

1978

On November 2, 1978 a 7,000 sq. ft. addition to the Ridgedale Ave location was completed, at a cost of $250k.

1980

In the spring of 1980, OTCH was accredited by CARF. We have continued to maintain CARF accreditation.

1984

In 1984, the OTCH was serving over 280 individuals representing 35 municipalities. The Work Station in Industry Program was created. In this program, the Occupational Training Center for the Handicapped bid on projects currently performed at various companies and clients and supervisors would complete the jobs on the company's premises.

1985

In 1985, the name was changed to remove "for the handicapped," making the new name the Occupational Training Center (OTC). The Work Station in Industry Program grew to establish four community work stations. The OTC recycling program also began. It implemented curbside collection of newspapers in 2 municipalities beginning in January of 1986. 

        

1986

In 1986, the OTC continued to grow. The recycling program expanded to 3 municipalities and the community based program added 3 additional work sites. 

1987

In April of 1987, the OTC received a grant from the Morris County Department of Human Services. With this grant, the OTC implemented a supported employment program, providing job coaching and follow-along services after job placement. In 1987, OTC also began to computerize their operations. 

1993

In 1993, office space was rented at 14 Ridgedale Avenue. A new program, "Employment Horizons," was created to provide vocational assessment and employment services to a more diverse disabled population in the least restrictive environment. This program made available community based services to individuals who did not desire to participate in the facility based training program. Later that year, the OTC won the "Outstanding Facility Award" for the innovative Employment Horizons program. This award was given by the NJ Association of Rehabilitation Facilities (now ACCSES NJ). 

Putting Disabled to Work (10.3.93 Daily Record)

1994

In 1994, the Employment Horizons program became licensed as a temporary employment agency. Also in 1994, lawn care equipment was purchased and a grounds-keeping training program was initiated to expand opportunities for clients. 

1995

In 1995, Picatinny Arsenal contracted with the OTC for basic cleaning services. This site provided full time work opportunities for 5 clients throughout the year.

Picatinny Enters Agreement with Occupational Training Center (The Voice 12.1.95)

1996

In 1996, the Morris/Sussex/Warren Workforce Investment Board designated the Employment Horizons program as a One-Stop Career Center. The Commercial Services Department expanded the janitorial services program at Picatinny Arsenal to 2 buildings. 

1997

 In 1997, the janitorial contract with Picatinny Arsenal continued to grow. The Commercial Services Department of the OTC went from servicing 2 buildings to servicing 15 buildings. 

2000

Effective February 1, 2000 the name of the agency officially changed from the OTC of Morris County to Employment Horizons, Inc. Also in 2000, as a result of the dedication and capabilities of our workers, Picatinny Arsenal awarded our Commercial Services Department a janitorial contract for the entire base (150 buildings). 

Center Changes Name, Not Services (Hanover Eagle, 3.9.00)

Arsenal to Hire Disabled Workers (Daily Record 6.8.00)

2005

In 2005, Employment Horizons was named "Outstanding Community Rehabilitaton Agency" by ACCSES NJ (American Congress of Community Supports and Employment Services). 

2006

On June 19, 2006 Employment Horizons held its first golf classic. Also in 2006, the Technology Center opened. 

2007

In 2007, the inaugural phase of the agency's Capital Campaign began.

2008

On May 1, 2008 the groundbreaking ceremony was held for the addition to the main building. This addition would allow the programs currently at 14 Ridgedale Ave to move to the 10 Ridgedale Ave location, as well as provide upgrades to the existing facility.

Employment Horizons Begins 22,000-Square-Foot Annex Project

2009

On May 1, 2009 (just 1 year after groundbreaking) the ribbon cutting for the new building was held. 22,000 sq. ft were added to the existing facility (more than doubling the size of the building).

    

Employment Horizons Opens Center (Hanover Eagle 5.14.09)

2010

On July 22, 2010 Employment Horizons began the grounds & garbage contract with Picatinny Arsenal, again expanding the services provided at the location and work opportunities for program participants. 

Employment Horizons established the Paul J. Harrington Memorial Fund as a way to remember our friend and colleague. The Fund, created to celebrate the life & legacy of our beloved benefactor and Board member, helps to fund our Culinary Arts Training Program. 

2011

In 2011,  the Culinary Arts Training Program began training individuals to prepare and serve lunch. The building expansion allowed Employment Horizons to open Café Horizons and the new cafeteria, providing program participants and staff with the opportunity to purchase lunch 3 days per week. 

 

2012

In 2012, Café Horizons expanded services to 5 days per week and also began offering light catering services to area businesses. 

2013

Lt. Governor Kim Guadagno toured Employment Horizons on January 4, 2013. 



2014

The inaugural Taste of Spring event, featuring Chef Eric LeVine of Morris Tap and Grill, to benefit the Culinary Arts Training Program was held. 

2015

The 10th Annual Golf Classic was held.